Peppered Sirloin with Hab...
Peppered Sirloin served with Habanero Butter and an Avocado Salad
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: +- 10 minutes
Ready in: +- 20 minutes
Variations: Substitute sirloin with rump, ribeye or fillet steak
Tips: If you don’t like it too spicy, deseed the habanero or use red/green chillies in the chilli butter. Freeze the remaining butter for next time.
Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
Rare: 4 minutes on each side
Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side
Medium: 6 minutes on each side
Well-done: Not recommended
2 x 300g sirloin steaks
1 tsp black peppercorns crushed
100g butter, softened
1 habanero chilli, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
2 ripe avocados, halved (horizontally) and skinned
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
Approx. 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a bowl mix the butter together with the chopped chilli and season with salt.
2. Spoon the butter mixture onto a sheet of cling film and wrap into a sausage shape by folding the plastic wrap over the butter and quickly spinning the two loose ends around.
3. Refrigerate the habanero butter until required or put it in the freezer if you need to speed things up.
4. Rub the steaks with olive oil and coat them with the crushed pepper corns.
5. Heat a pan until smoking hot and cook the steaks to your preference (see cooking guideline above). Leave the meat to rest for half its cooking time and prepare the salad.
6. To make the avocado salad, mix the torn basil leaves with the olive oil and lemon juice and pour over the avocado halves. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Unwrap the chilli butter, cut into 1cm thick slices and pop it on top of the hot steaks. Ready. Set. Eat!
Recipe developed and styled for Karan Beef’s Beef Easy app. Go to recipe.
Photographed by James Strack.
Food stylist Johannesburg, South Africa.