Thyme Roasted Bone Ma...
Thyme Roasted Bone Marrow
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Ready in: 20 minutes
Variations: Use bone marrow that is cut widthways
Servings: 2 to 4
Tips: Soak the bone marrow in ice water overnight to draw out the blood. This process will also make cleaning the bones easier.
4 pieces bone marrow, halved lengthways
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Apple & kumquat chutney, store-bought (most subtle flavoured marmalades and chutneys will be delicious with this dish)
French loaf, for serving
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F and line a baking tray with tinfoil.
2. Coat the bone marrow in olive oil and generously season with Italian seasoning, thyme leaves and salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the bone marrow on the baking tray cut side up and roast for 15 minutes or until the bone marrow starts to bubble around the edges.
4. Thinly slice the French loaf, brush with olive oil and crisp up in the oven with the bone marrow for the last few minutes of its cooking time.
5. Serve immediately. Eat the marrow straight out the bone or spread it on the toast and top with some of the apple and kumquat chutney.
Recipe developed and styled for Karan Beef’s Beef Easy app. Go to recipe.
Photographed by James Strack.
Food stylist Johannesburg, South Africa.